<body>

Sunday, February 14, 2010

ROCKIN' WITH ...THE SLAMBOVIAN CIRCUS OF DREAMS IN MY LITTLE RHODE ISLAND HOMETOWN

Joziah Longo, leader of
Gandalf Murphy and The Slambovian Circus of Dreams


Photo by Dan Tappan from last night's concert


.............................................................................

.............................................................................
Baby Jane
Uploaded by buquebusuk

Some bands are better on their CDs where the engineer can smooth out the rough spots. The thing about Joziah's Longo's Gandalf Murphy and The Slambovian Circus of Dreams is that they are fine on their CD's, but experiencing them live is the best way to experience their music. We are one fortunate little Rhode Island town here in Portsmouth. Because we have live music for a very reasonable price all through the autumn, winter and spring months. I bought several tickets in advance this season and last night was another great time. I heard this band for the first time last season, so I knew what I was in for. I got there a little late, missing probably one song and some interesting talk. But throughout the night, I picked up bits of what had to have been quite a story from their two week tour in Scotland and word's like "jetlag", "Dayquil" and "cooties" explained why certain songs couldn't be performed. So, Common Fence Music was their first stop in the USA after crossing the Atlantic.

They were still rockin' though feeling under the weather. How people sit absolutely still and not move to the music is beyond my understanding. I could barely sit there and not get up to dance. Finally, when Joziah said the word "mummer" for the final song, I had to get up.

But, the audience loved them, still or moving. It was a full house and all were standing, applauding a fun time in this lucky little town.

Thanks, Tom Perrotti.

At Intermission

At intermission, as I was passing by, I got up my courage to talk to the leader of the band, Joziah Longo, who was moving away from the table with family members who had come. He said "no" he couldn't do the song I requested - Better Life. He was very sweet about it, took my hand, held it for awhile with genuine warmth and authenticity. He told me twice he "owed" me the song for next time and explained about my request on stage during the second set. Told me, too, it was one of Tink's - his wife's - favorites also.
.............................................................................

.............................................................................
Better Life
Uploaded by Slambovia

Then, I really got my courage up to say something I had been wanting to ask, but didn't know if I would be able to make myself ask.

I explained to Joziah that I do Youtube videos and that I would like to use the band's music.
I explained that I always give credit and that I include in the video itself where to go to buy the music, as well as placing a link on my youtube sidebar to buy the music. I added that I roll in the credits: "Support Artists Who Don't Ban Youtube Use". I went on to say that I had been to their website and noticed the Bootleg Videos section of youtube videos that fans have posted. Explaining that I had emailed them to ask permission and never received a response, he asked if no one had answered me. So, after he made it clear that they weren't going to sing Better Life, he said "About the other question" (pause), he said emphatically "Yes." I got permission from Joziah to use their music on Youtube. I am so excited to have gotten the chance to ask last night. And he said "yes"!!

Cool.

I had tested the song months ago as private youtube video and it wasn't banned by youtube in any country, so I could have done it and gotten away with it, but I prefer doing it this way. I will send them a link to their music being used for a probable Heath Ledger video, when I ever get to it after MAC is repaired. I want to use Better Life, Alice in Space, Living with God and more. I own four CD's so, I have some to choose from. This is my first of actually having permission. Though I have tried with another musician with no response.

Pictures from last night's show


Their website:
slambovia
which has all their lyrics

Their Youtube channel:
slambovia.com/youtube

Music is available
at itunes
and amazon

.............................................................................

.............................................................................
Alice in Space
Uploaded by buquebusuk

.............................................................................

.............................................................................
Talking to the Buddha
Uploaded by Slambovia

Rocket
Trans Slambovian Bi-polar Express

.............................................................................

.............................................................................
Gloria
Uploaded by alankfan

Click post title for
Living with God

Lyrics

Baby Jane

There are things they try to sell
What they're worth i cannot tell
We spend so much time just survivin'
We let heaven go to hell

We gotta move on baby jane
The way they think
Will make you go insane
They'll steal your love
And slam your name
But that's alright
They cannot steal your light
Yeah can never steal your light
So you just move on baby jane
Yeah move on baby jane

His face is strong, his words are sweet
Specifically honed to knock you off your feet
Yeah... knock you down and hold you under
Anything to keep you incomplete
You gotta move on baby jane
He'll steal your love
And then slam your name
He's terrified you're gonna stake your claim
'Cause he fears your soul
But he's no longer in control
Yeah he's no longer in control
So you just move on baby jane
Move on baby jane
Move on baby jane

I wrote this song for you tonight
To let you know i love your light
But we can't stop here
Or we'll start sinkin'
We gotta move until we get it right
We gotta move on baby jane
The way they think
Will make you go insane
I'd steal your love
And slam your name
'Cause you're so fine
I wish that you were mine
I even wish that you were mine
So you just move on baby jane
Move on baby jane
Move on to the light
Move on move on
Move on baby jane.


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At February 15, 2010 at 9:11:00 AM EST , Anonymous Marie Hopkins said...

Aren't they the absolute best!?! They are all very genuine, down-to-earth people and very good to all of their fans. I LOVE being part of the "Tribe". I am a Slambovian for life!

 
At February 16, 2010 at 12:36:00 AM EST , Blogger ilovemylife said...

They are so relaxed on stage. So much fun. I have been playing Alice in Space with the repeat function on all afternoon.

Were you there Saturday night?

 
At February 16, 2010 at 1:32:00 AM EST , Blogger Dr. Forrester said...

I have filmed many of Gandalf Murphy's concerts. I'd love to trade for your films. Here are just a few small samples -

http://just-add-cones.blogspot.com/search?q=murphy

Please holler if you'd like to do a swap.

mst3k(spam)(spam)at(spam)(spam)gmail(spam).(spam)com

 
At February 18, 2010 at 7:45:00 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WAS there Saturday night,and attend as many shows as I can afford (although my husband set a 2 hour drive rule,and Portsmouth RI was just under 2 hours- YAY!)
I was the nut-case in front with the little red circus parasol, wearing my Trans-Slambovian Bi-Polar Express tee shirt. I bought the umbrella on line (searched for clown parasols and found a couple of sites),then I "dressed them up" a bit. My friend, Patty, uses the one I made for my husband.. he loves the band too, but doesn't get quite as excited as I do.
I saw them for the first time at Falcon Ridge Folk Fest many years ago and have been smitten ever since. Incredible musicians, some of the nicest people you could ever meet, and very genuine. They love the fans as much as we love them.
You have to get the Christmas CD if you haven't already. They don't make bad music, but the Christmas CD is one of my favorites and I play it all year long.
Just bought my tickets for East Hartford, CT March 27th and am impatiently waiting for ticket sales for Needham, MA April 10th. I will be buying those the minute they go on sale.
Marie - Gandalf Murphy and The Slambovian Circus of Dreams FANatic.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home