<body>

Friday, October 8, 2010

GOD AND US

Religion in the USA is the focus of this PBS series on American Experience's Frontline

Although I don't consider myself as a religious person, I was raised in a very religious family and environment. Very fundamentalist, very conservative and not encouraged to think for myself/ourselves...beyond what we were told is the truth. I don't fit in my family's plan for me. I am therefore a misfit, an outcast, a "disappointment" to what was expected of me and judgment from the members has always been present.

I approve of me. Although at times, I would prefer to feel like I fit in my family, it is necessary that it is enough that I am okay with who and what I am. Being a "member" has been secondary to living a life that is not pretentious and in my truth.

But, I am interested in learning why I am what I am and where I "came from". So this American Experience's Frontline series sounds interesting to me. I plan to watch it. It is always online if you miss it when it airs on TV.
............................................................

Watch the full episode. See more FRONTLINE.

............................................................

October 11 God in America: Episodes 1 & 2

October 12 God in America: Episodes 3 & 4

October 13 God in America: Episodes 5 & 6

Excerpts from the PBS website about God in America

...For the first time on television, God in America, a presentation of AMERICAN EXPERIENCE and FRONTLINE, will explore the historical role of religion in the public life of the United States. The six-hour series, which interweaves documentary footage, historical dramatization and interviews with religious historians, will air over three consecutive nights on PBS beginning Oct. 11, 2010....

..."The American story cannot be fully understood without understanding the country's religious history," says series executive producer Michael Sullivan. "By examining that history, God in America will offer viewers a fresh, revealing and challenging portrait of the country."...

..."Americans are awash in a sea of faith, but their knowledge about religious faiths and religious history often runs as shallow as their commitment to religion runs deep," notes Stephen Prothero, chief editorial consultant for God in America, professor of religion at Boston University, and author of Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know -- And Doesn't. "A series like God in America can help correct that imbalance and provide the basis for a common understanding of the role religion has played in American public life."...

And this series will be airing again....

We Shall Remain

~ this is a "must see" about the people who lived here before the immigrants came and took their land and denied them to live their lives in the freedom they had before the government of the USA was formed

October 18 We Shall Remain: After the Mayflower

October 25 We Shall Remain: Tecumseh's Vision

November 1 We Shall Remain: Trail of Tears


Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home