<body>

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

IT'S THE CONTENT OF HIS CHARACTER, GERALDINE ~ THAT'S WHY I SUPPORT MR. OBAMA

Geraldine Ferraro has an opinion and then she has an opinion about her opinion. I don't agree with either of her opinions. "If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," Ferraro said. "And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

That is her opinion.

"The concept" is what? She doesn't express "the concept" with clarity.

And then Geraldine said this:

"Any time anybody does anything that in any way pulls this campaign down and says let's address reality and the problems we're facing in this world, you're accused of being racist, so you have to shut up," Ferraro said. "Racism works in two different directions. I really think they're attacking me because I'm white. How's that?"

My opinion is that Barack Obama is where he is because of his character, his work, his gifts, his values and how he has run his campaign. For me, I wouldn't care if he had my color of skin, no skin or was female ~ I would support him because of how he behaves and the integrity and authenticity that I see in his being. Also, I see a person whose ego is in check.

After getting to know Hillary more during her campaign, I can say now, that I wouldn't vote for her if she was male. Or if she was black. My not voting for Hillary is based on my opinion of her character, how she behaves, my opinion of her integrity and authenticity. And her ego. Not on her skin color or her gender.

No skin, genderless and still a human candidate? Given the qualities of the persons ~ my vote would still go for Barack Obama.

The following is from a speech given by man who knew a thing or two about being black in the United States of America.

"...I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but THE CONTENT OF THEIR CHARACTER.

...I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.


I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

Full speech of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s
of August 28, 1963 in Washington, D.C.

I see Geraldine Ferraro's view as racist. I see Geraldine Ferraro ignorant of her own bigotry. And I see a woman who is angry and hostile. A lot of us who are white people just don't get "it". Pat Buchanan who told a black woman to "shut up" tonight on Dan Abram's MSNBC show doesn't get it.

White people who like to believe that they have a corner on understanding what it feels like to live as a black person in a black bigoted-rooted country have a false sense of reality. Geraldine claims that her record proves she isn't a racist. I don't need to see her record when I hear her words.

Just because you say you are not racist doesn't mean you understand what bigotry is. Just because you say you are open-minded doesn't mean I see you as open-minded. Just because a person says they are Christian doesn't make the person one.

Hillary Clinton has allowed the pattern of throwing racist innuendos or direct comments repeatedly during HER campaign for President. It is divisive. And it shows who she is. And what threshhold she is willing to go over to get what she wants?

Geraldine says she is the victim. Geraldine is wrong.

Just my opinion, Geraldine. And Geraldine, those emails that you claim were sent to you from Obama's campaign, I am sure were
not. They were just people who had an opinion like you and were expressing it. Instead of emailing you, I am writing this post.

Geraldine, how could any of us who are white claim we are the victim? I know...I'm female too and there is the issue of not being accepted because we are female in this country, but you are confused about being the victim in this case. You made comments that you chose to state and have received reactions that you don't agree with. Those people are just saying what they feel, like you. It could be taken as a weakness that you are claiming to be victimized...weakness, a quality that women get thrown at us because we are female. You said your feelings are very hurt. I have no problem with you saying your feelings are hurt. But wear some black skin and black hair every day in this country and then get back to me about your feelings and how being hurt is just a 24/7 reality you have to deal with from birth to death.

I think some Hillary-supporting women are angry. And are harboring hostility. I think the hostility is rooted in feeling that we women are entitled to having Hillary Clinton be the female President we've all been waiting for. Look at the body language when Geraldine Ferraro is interviewed by Diane Sawyer.
Diane Sawyer video with Geraldine Ferraro

..............................................................................



..............................................................................
We hold these truths to be self-evident...I have a dream

..............................................................................

..............................................................................
Keith Olbermann on Ferraro March 12, 2008

On Hillary Clinton's life



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At March 13, 2008 at 1:57:00 PM EDT , Blogger D-Man said...

"I think some Hillary-supporting women are angry. And are harboring hostility. I think the hostility is rooted in feeling that we women are entitled to having Hillary Clinton be the female President we've all been waiting for."

Sandra, that is a very good point - and a very astute observation of human behavior. If there were a gay candidate, I might be so blinded and angry myself.

I must tell you that being a gay man and having been raised by a feminist, I also was eager for a woman president. The time definitely has come. BUT, my mom and I are both supporting Obama. And it's NOT because he's black or because I also think it's time for a person of color to inhabit the White('s Only) House. It's because he inspires me with his message. And for that to happen to this jaded old political hack is no small feat.

 
At March 13, 2008 at 3:24:00 PM EDT , Blogger D-Man said...

Oh, and I just love Olberman. I wish he could be Obama's VP. He always hits the nail right on the head. The Clintons value loyalty above all else, so it was a huuuuuge deal for Olberman to rail against Hillary (as he alluded to in the beginning of his tirade...)

How long (if at all - or maybe it's already happening) do you think before Hillary alienates that core group of loyal supporters? I mean, Olberman practically apologized for what he was about to say, before he lit into her... and Keith is usually not so worried about such things...

 
At March 13, 2008 at 7:08:00 PM EDT , Blogger ilovemylife said...

The saddest thing is that Hillary is using some people's fears and ignorance for her personal need to be in power.

Her need to be in power is coming from her ego. And her ego isn't in a healthy place.

Just my opinion. But that's what I do here.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home