<body>

Monday, February 7, 2011

MEMORIES DON'T BY EMILY SHACKELTON OF NASHVILLE


I heard a song today that I like ~ it is called
Memories Don't.
From the lyrics ~
People change, memories don't
Feelings fade, memories don't
People die, memories don't

You can see the duration time as the show moves along and you can slide the gray bar beside the arrow to the 25:22 mark to just hear the song. At 25:22 minutes in is Emily Shackelton singing her song: Memories Don't. For a time the duration didn't appear to show up here with the embed code they provide, but again now it does. When this happens just follows the directions in gray below ~


If you click this link Listen to the complete show (mp3) it will take you away from my blog to where you can slide that gray bar to exactly where you want to hear Memories Don't by Emily Shackelton.

............................................

............................................
Prairie Home Companion podcast of the entire February 5, 2011 show.

Click post title to go to Prairie Home Companion's website

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
The first segment only of the show - the song, Memories Don't, is near the end.

The first segment (as listed at the website: prairie home/2011/02/05/)
Segment 1
  • 00:00:00 Logo
  • 00:00:11 Tishomingo Blues
  • 00:02:51 GK opens, talks about NASA, astronomy
  • 00:06:45 Keep a-Knockin' - Pat, Sam, Jearlyn, GK, Shoe Band
  • 00:08:38 Coffee script
  • 00:12:12 GK talks to Jearlyn Steele
  • 00:12:42 Take Me For a Buggy Ride - Jearlyn Steele and band
  • 00:15:40 GK intros Sam Bush
  • 00:17:16 Same Ol' River - Sam Bush and band
  • 00:22:13 GK intros Emily Shackelton
  • 00:25:30 Memories Don't - Emily Shackelton and band
  • 00:29:57 Love Like Mine - Emily Shackelton and band
  • 00:33:50 Powdermilk Biscuit Break
UPDATE February 11, 2011

I just transcribed the lyrics from the podcast and post them for you here

Memories Don’t


By Emily Shackelton


People change, memories don’t

Feelings fade, memories don't
People die, memories don't

❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧


Verse 1

Sunday morning, back in my hometown,

just passing through, I went driving around, all alone.

This used to feel like home.

I used to know every face that walked down these streets,

And all of them faces, they used to know me,

Now, they don’t, life goes on.


Chorus

But you’re moving down the road,

Take it, as it goes, I guess.

Oo, it’s out of my control,

but I know that heaven knows what’s best.

This world can keep on changing,

’Cause I know what they want,

People change, memories don’t

Interlude


Verse 2

Barefeet in the sand, little umbrella drinks,

The world around us, seem to come to a screeching halt,

Mmmm, we were lost.

The buzz of the rum, the sun on our skin

I’ve relived that day, again and again

for years.

It’s all right here.


Chorus

But you’re moving down the road,

Take it, as it goes, I guess.

Oo, it’s out of my control,

but I know that heaven knows what’s best.

This world can keep on changing

’Cause I know what they want,

Feelings fade, memories don’t.

Interlude


Verse 3

There’s the little white house,

My grandparents built,

There’s that little porch swing,

I wonder who lives there now.

Chorus

But you’re moving down the road,

Take it as it goes, I guess.

Oo it’s out of my control,

but I know that heaven knows what’s best.

This world can keep on changing,

’Cause I know what they want,

People die, memories don’t.

Oh no, memories don’t.


UPDATE February 19, 2011

I have scribbled out this song on staff paper, but I haven't gotten the rhythm notated, but once you get Emily's feel for the rhythm down in this song, you can improvise the rhythm. She doesn't really play the melody that she sings as accompaniment.

Her key: G major (all chords are Major that are capitalized). She changes the chord from G for one beat then goes back to G again a lot of the time.


Memories Don't

written by Emily Schackelton

This is what I have come up with for the chords ~

Verse

G, C, G, C, a minor

G for a long time, C, G, C, a minor, G

(Verse 3 cuts to the chorus after the first chord progression of G, C, G, C, a minor)


Chorus

C, G for a long, long time - until the word "best", D

At "This world can keep on changing..." the chords are

G C D G, D G C C7 a minor, C, G


Chorus the third time

C, G for a long, long time - until the word "best", D

At "This world can keep on changing..." the chords are

G C D G, D G C C7 a minor, C

C7, G C D G


NOTE:

Chorus - ending chords are for the third time through the chorus cuts G chord and goes straight to the last words

"Oh, no-o, memories don't"

I use these chords at this time:

C7, G C D G


UPDATE #2 February 19, 2011


Memories Don’t ~ By Emily Shackelton

Note: The chords were at the right words until I pasted them here, then the chords all bunched up.


What I use for intro: G G C7 G G


Verse 1


G C

Sunday morning, back in my hometown,

G C a

just passing through, I went driving around, all a-lone.

G

This used to feel like home.

C

I used to know every face that walked down these streets,

G C

And all of them faces, they used to know me,

a G

Now, they don’t, life goes on.


Chorus


C G

But you’re moving down the road,


Take it, as it goes, I guess.


Oo, it’s out of my control,

D

but I know that heaven knows what’s best.

G C D G

This world can keep on changing,

D G C

’Cause I know what they want,

C7 a C G

People change, memories don’t


Interlude


Verse 2


G C

Barefeet in the sand, little umbrella drinks,


G C a

The world around us, seem to come to a screeching halt,


G

Mmmm, we were lost.

C


The buzz of the rum, the sun on our skin


G C

I’ve relived that day, again and again


a G

for years. It’s all right here.


Verse 3


G C

There’s the little white house, my grandparents built,


G C a

There’s that little porch swing, I wonder who lives there now.


Chorus after Verse 3


C G

But you’re moving down the road,


Take it, as it goes, I guess.


Oo, it’s out of my control,

D

but I know that heaven knows what’s best.


G C D G

This world can keep on changing,


D G C

’Cause I know what they want,


C7 a C

People change, memories don’t.


C7 G C D G

Oh, no-o, memories don’t

...................................

...................................

Memories Don't ~ cover

Uploaded by

This is not polished at all. It is a work still in progress. PLEASE, remember what I just wrote...because I plan to rework this. All instrument parts were improvised....and were created on a Roland keyboard and transferred into Garage Band. I heard this song on Prairie Home Companion on February 5, 2011's show by the composer, Emily Shackelton. Apparently Emily hasn't recorded this song yet. I wrote to her on her Myspace page suggesting that she record it.


Because this a rough cut, this video is not to be shared, meaning embedded anywhere. That is why it is listed as "unlisted" at Youtube. The only place this should be embedded is HERE on this post. Please do not embed this video anywhere else. Thank you. If you do, I will see it because I am always finding my videos all over the internet world, even those I have since deleted from my youtube channel.


March 6, 2011 9:41 p.m.
❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧❧




Labels: , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

At February 8, 2011 at 5:30:00 PM EST , Blogger jebbaby said...

After attending my 98 year old Aunt Margaret's memorial service Saturday, February 5th in wonderful Northville, Michigan and driving home in a horrific snowstorm, I was listening to Garrison Keillor's show after 6:00 PM EDT. I absolutely loved Emily Shackleton's voice and the song, Memories Don't--very comforting words and voice. thank you for posting this so I can replay and send to friends. jebbaby

 
At February 8, 2011 at 7:11:00 PM EST , Blogger ilovemylife said...

Hello jebbaby,

I loved this song immediately when I heard it. I couldn't find it to purchase or on youtube. So this was the only way I could come up with to be able to share it. I hope your Aunt Margaret had a peaceful passing. I can see how the lyrics to this song would be comforting for you. Thank you for stopping by and especially leaving a comment.

Sandra

 
At February 12, 2011 at 10:14:00 AM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too heard this song on P.H.C. and loved it. Emily Shackelton sings with deep feeling and soul.
Thanks for posting it. I was wondering if someone had the written music or would play it on you tube so my daughter could sing and play it for me.

All the best,

Jim

 
At February 13, 2011 at 12:25:00 AM EST , Blogger ilovemylife said...

Jim,

I have googled a few times extensively and found nothing in the way of music, lyrics or any mention of this song anywhere....including at itunes and at Emily Shackelton's Myspace page. That is why I transcribed the lyrics - because I couldn't find the lyrics anywhere either. Eventually, I hope to write out the song, but that won't be for awhile.

According to the number of hits this blog post is getting, I would say that a lot of people liked this song from the PHC radio show Feb 5, 2011.

Thank you for leaving a comment.

Sandra

 
At February 19, 2011 at 2:12:00 PM EST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to find the lyrics to this song! Wednesday,February 9,2011 in Greensboro NC I was driving to my cousins house a little past 8am. From there,she and her husband would be driving me to my Daddy's funeral in Sanford NC. Listening to PHC and heard Emily Shackleton and this song for the first time. - I felt like my Daddy's hand had just reached down from heaven and squeezed my shoulder. -A.Gunter

 
At February 19, 2011 at 6:15:00 PM EST , Blogger ilovemylife said...

A.Gunter,

Thank you for leaving a comment. This song was an instant "hit" I do believe.

I have been working on it, notating it, learning the lyrics and memorizing how I want to play it. But Emily does such a great job with her own song, that I hope she records it.

The lyrics and the music fit so well together and Emily's voice presents it with a vulnerability that is so welcome.

 
At February 22, 2011 at 10:06:00 AM EST , Blogger Clif Hostetler said...

Emily could have sold tens of thousands of copies of that song had it been available on iTunes on the day of the Prairie Home Companion performance. I searched for it, and I know I wasn't the only one. She needs a buisness manager to make sure that opportunities like this are not missed.

 
At February 22, 2011 at 3:40:00 PM EST , Blogger ilovemylife said...

Clif,

I agree. Someone needs to contact Emily and tell her. Thanks for stopping by.

Sandra

 
At February 23, 2011 at 10:09:00 PM EST , Blogger ilovemylife said...

Emily accepted me as one of her "myspace" friends tonight and I then sent this message to her at myspace in a private email:

February 23, 2011
9:50 p.m.

Subject:
Memories Don't is a "must record"

Hello Emily,

I am writing to you to pass on some information that you may or may not be aware of.

Your song, Memories Don't is very, very popular and people are seeking it out. But they can't find it.

I have a post on my personal blog, that has had many hits since I put it up. It is titled: MEMORIES DON'T BY EMILY SHACKELTON OF NASHVILLE

I almost never get people to comment, although I know that many people regularly read my blog. But the post about you and your song sung on Prairie Home Companion on Feb 5, 2011 has comments about what hearing you sing this song means to them. And others saying what I found....we have searched online to purchase your song and cannot find it. A Feb 27, 2011 comment:

“Emily could have sold tens of thousands of copies of that song had it been available on iTunes on the day of the Prairie Home Companion performance. I searched for it, and I know I wasn't the only one. She needs a business manager to make sure that opportunities like this are not missed.”

I know why so many people come to my blog post....when you google your name and this song's name - Memories Don't - my post is about all you can find online.

So, I hope you will record this song and I would love to post the news with a link for the purchase on my blog post once you do it. So, sing on....

Sandra Hammel

 
At May 7, 2011 at 5:49:00 PM EDT , Blogger lauratu.art said...

DID SHE WRITE BACK!!.. i log on to kpcc all the time to listen to it too. i could not find it on itunes either.

Lt from Los Angeles.

 
At September 17, 2011 at 10:55:00 PM EDT , Blogger Holly said...

I too LOVED this song and would like to obtain a recording by Emily Shackleton.

Holly

 
At April 17, 2016 at 10:08:00 AM EDT , Anonymous Laverne Hahn Wiles said...

I'm another who heard the song on Prairie Home Companion and immediately loved it.

But I believe your text transcription has an error in the chorus. (I had trouble with it, too, at first.) Here are the correct words:

"This world can keep on changin'
'Cause I know one thing won't—
People change; memories don't."

 
At April 17, 2016 at 12:36:00 PM EDT , Blogger ilovemylife said...

Laverne, Thank you so much. Appreciate it. Sandra

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home