<body>

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

RAFAEL NADAL LISTENS TO HIS BODY







Rafael Nadal announces he will not be able to play the final Davis Cup
Photo credits: Getty and unknown
The following are from www.rafaelnadal.com:

NOVEMBER 03 | 2008

NOT PLAYING IN SHANGHAI

Monday, November 3rd, 2008

Dear fans and media reps,

It has been a long and difficult year where I managed to obtain great results, both on a professional and on a personal level. I have mentioned in various occasions that the tennis calendar has been extremely hard with practically every single week playing. This forces us players to put pressure on our bodies, making it impossible for a top level player to be 100% at each event.

On a personal level I had as one of my goals to become #1 during this year and competing at so many events might have harmed, specially at the end of the season, my physical condition, taking away the power needed to play at a high level in these last events. I don´t know if this has been a mistake or not but the fact is that with the goal achieved I also have to take one of the most difficult and painful decisions:

I have decided not to compete at the Masters Cup in Shanghai. As I say this is one of the most difficult decisions in my career due to the importance of the event and above all, due to the fact that I wont be able to share time with the fans in China and the tournament organizers that always have treated me in such special way.

I am deeply saddened and disappointed for my fans around the world that expected to see me in Shanghai. I do however, expect to be there again in October 09 for the ATP Masters 1000 event in Shanghai.

I know that many people were speculating about this matter and even though I have yet not done any tests, I can honestly say I have taken the right decision. I want to recover and get ready for the Davis Cup final in Mar del Plata, Argentina. That is also another reason for not going to Shanghai.

Many thanks to all for your support and understanding.

Rafa



NOVEMBER 04 | 2008

RAFA'S MEDICAL RESULTS

Barcelona, 4th November

Angel Ruiz-Cotorro, the Spanish tennis federation (RFET) doctor, as well as Rafa’s doctor has released a statement today in which he revealed the state of Rafa’s right knee injury after some tests done early in the morning in Barcelona.

“After the necessary medical procedures and tests were carried out this morning. I can confirm that Rafa is suffering from tendonitis in his right knee”.

“As a result of this injury it is necessary that Rafa rests and undergoes more treatment involving anti-inflammatories, physiotherapy and ice packs until next Saturday”.

"Once this period of rest is over, and depending on the development of the pain, Rafa will gradually begin training on the court again," adding that further tests were planned for Monday

Nadal pulled out of the season-ending Masters Cup on Monday because of the injury, which last week forced him to retire from his Paris Masters quarter-final against Nikolay Davydenko.

ANGEL RUIZ-COTORRO

Doctor of the Spanish tennis federation (RFET).


From the Front Page of Rafael Nadal's website www.rafaelnadal.com

No Davis Cup Final for Rafa. "It Pains Me"

Tuesday November 10th, 2008

Unfortunately Rafa will not be able to compete at the Davis Cup final. After the medical tests done today, he announced that he will not travel with the Spanish team to Mar del Plata in Argentina on Thursday.

Rest assured that this was one of the worst decisions he's ever had to make, a very painful one, the one that no one wanted to hear. Rafa is deeply upset about it, more than anyone else for sure

These were his words at the press conference in Barcelona:

"After a very long and positive year, it is terrible for me not to be able to participate at two of the events that were part of my goals this season, Shanghai and the Davis Cup final."

"This is a very difficult time for me, but at least I know I’ve done everything possible to be in the final. It was a goal of mine to be there”

“I’m used to playing with pain, but this pain is different, new in a way. I can’t control it” said Rafa today at a Press conference in Barcelona.

“I’m conscious of the fact that my team has the ability to win without me for sure. I don’t think Spain’s chance to get the title will end because of me, it’s nothing like that” concluded Rafa before thanking his team captain, Emilio Sánchez Vicario for being so supportive and “understanding” about his situation.

When asked if the injury had something to do with the this year’s tennis Calendar, the 4 time Roland Garros champion said that it “didn’t help” but at the same time, he “didn’t do anything crazy to try to get to No.1”. He thinks that “the Olympic Games certainly made the schedule tighter"

NOVEMBER 07 | 2008

JUST FOR THE RECORD

7th of November, 2008

I don’t usually make denials of false information published related to me, but given the seriousness of the matter I would like to make a clear statement.

Some Argentinean media have published a false interview with me after my press conference in Madrid. During that interview that never happened it's said that I make comments about the Argentinean government and Argentinean politics. That interview and those comments are completely false and my team is now trying to track the source of this interview and take appropriate measures.

I am the kind of person that never make comments about politics, not local, nor national, and specially not international.

I really hope that all the Argentinean people that read the article know that it wasn’t me who said those things but instead it was someone else who taking advantage of my name, wrote a false story trying to harm my image and reputation.

Thank you everyone!

Rafa


Injured Nadal Out of Davis Cup

Source: http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411337/2299890

Nov 11, 2008

World number one Rafael Nadal will miss Spain's Davis Cup final against Argentina this month after failing to recover from tendinitis in his right knee.

The French Open and Wimbledon champion said the decision to withdraw had been extremely difficult and added he had done everything possible to get fit but had decided to obey his doctors' orders.

"I am used to playing with pain but this was a new and different pain I cannot control," he told a news conference.

"I am not feeling that great. These are very hard choices when you are an individual player, even more when you are playing doubles, but much more when it's about a Davis Cup team."

Olympic gold medallist Nadal, who took over as number one from Swiss Roger Federer in August, has blamed his injury on an overloaded tennis calendar.

The injured knee forced him to pull out of the season-ending Masters Cup in Shanghai and he also had to retire from his Paris Masters quarter-final against Nikolay Davydenko last month.


The athletic Mallorcan has played 93 singles matches this year, winning 82 and collecting eight titles. He said he did not think he had pushed himself too far.

"I haven't done anything crazy to get to number one in the world," he said. "I don't feel ready to approach a match like this one and that's why I won't be there, much to my regret."

VIOLENT MOVEMENT

Spanish tennis federation (RFET) doctor Angel Ruiz Cotorro said Nadal would have to rest for another 10 days.

"In two weeks he can start pre-season training but he'll have to take it slowly," he told the news conference. "It's a new and acute injury and it is caused by violent movement."

The RFET is expected to name its team on Tuesday for the tie in Mar del Plata from Nov. 21-23. Spain won the Cup in 2004 and 2000 while Argentina are yet to win but reached the final in 2006 when they lost to Russia.

World number 12 David Ferrer is expected to take over as Spain's number one, with Tommy Robredo, Nicolas Almagro or Marcel Granollers joining doubles pair Fernando Verdasco and Feliciano Lopez to make up the four-man team.

"I know that my team mates can win the final without me," Nadal said. "We have the players to beat Argentina, although it won't be easy."

Davis Cup - Granollers replaces Nadal for final

Marcel Granollers-Pujol has been called up to the Spain team in place of the injured Rafael Nadal for the Davis Cup final against Argentina later in November.

Team captain Emilio Sanchez-Vicario handed Granollers a place alongside the more experienced David Ferrer, Fernando Verdasco and Feliciano Lopez.

Santiago Ventura will join the side as a sparring partner.

Source: http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/11/10/sports/tennisatp10.php

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home