<body>

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I ADOPTED A FOSTER CHILD

My son will be 22 years old. He is finishing his third year of a five year engineering program. He is getting his undergraduate and graduate degree simultaneously. And in his current internship, he was very proud that one of the engineers he works for at MIT in Boston, told him last week Thursday, that he is the most accurate and precise person he has ever worked with. He has received all A's but one. That was a B.

I don't want to give the wrong idea that it was all smooth going. Far from it. But I believe in opportunity. And after having started out in life with abuse, dire neglect and many foster homes, he had the opportunity to attend a private high school that helped provide him with opportunities that he benefited from. He worked hard. He won the Alumni Award his senior year there. When I met him in one of my public school music classrooms, he came in October of his second grade year. I have taught thousands of students.

This one became my son.

He had a hell of a beginning to his life. And yet, he has done an outstanding job being the best that he can be. This year he won an award at Northeastern University in the Engineering School.

Foster children aren't the problem, their environments are.

Don't judge a child because of the fault of their birth parents. In this case, this young man is testimony to the fact that opportunity is what each and every child deserves.

.....................................................

.....................................................
This clip includes my favorite seconds where Abigail Tillerman closes her eyes as a way to express herself to her grandchildren in the boat to home at the end of the movie. It happens at 5:33
Uploaded by ilovemylifesblog

The text that I posted at Youtube:

I love this story. It was the first book I read at bedtime to my adopted son when he first came "home" at age 10 on Christmas day. I waited a long time to find "Homecoming" on DVD and when I did, I purchased it.

Synopsis: Tells of children who are forced to fend for themselves when their mother apparently abandons them. They eventually meet their grandmother, a loner who is reluctant to take them in.

Of the entire movie, the two seconds that Anne Bancroft speaks with her eyes I find the most touching and memorable. This is the reason for the title of the clip ~ A MOMENT THAT REMAINS LONG AFTER ITS OVER

The DVD Homecoming is not available new, presently.
On http://www.amazon.com/
independent sellers are selling it in the price range of $93.96 to $414.00 USA
Check it out at www.amazon.com
I encourage purchases of music and DVDs in this section, but in this case, to pay the asking price is somewhat outrageous.

I bought my 3 DVD copies of "Homecoming", when it was available from www.amazon.com and it was around $10 USA. I bought an extra copy and donated it to the local library. Check out your library to see if they have it. It is well-done and stays closely to the book.

It is risky posting this video. I have many times found movies I want to buy by finding bits of them posted here at Youtube. And there are some DVDs that I would like to purchase having seen bits of them here, however they are not avaiilable in the USA. So, sadly my only way of seeing any of these is to find people willing to risk posting parts here. I understand that people's creations are precious. But I find that having bits of movies, shows and music posted here at Youtube serve as free advertisement for the marketing of the works.

The paperback book "Homecoming" is available for $6.99 USA at www.amazon.com Homecoming-Tillerman-Cynthia-Voigt

The children acting in this movie are fantastic actors.

Cast
Anne Bancroft...Abigail Tillerman
Kimberlee Peterson...Dicey Tillerman
Trever O'Brien... James Tillerman
Hanna Hall... Maybeth Tillerman
William Greenblatt... Sammy Tillerman
Anna Louise Richardson... Liza Tillerman
Scott Michael Campbell... Windy
Bonnie Bedelia... Eunice Logan
Jacque Lynn Colton... Millie

Anne Bancroft's birth name: Anna Maria Louise Italiano
Born September 17, 1931
Died June 6, 2005

About the movie:
www.imdb.com/title
Pictures of movie jacket:
www.imdb.com/media

Director: Mark Jean
Author of the book: Cynthia Voigt
Writer of the screenplay: Christopher Carlson

There are digital disintegrations intermittently in the clip.

Because of fear of being suspended from Youtube, I may choose to only leave this clip up a short time.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home